lunes, 17 de junio de 2019

An Expert in my Field: William Morton

A person that I admire a lot is William Morton.
William Thomas Morton was an American dentist who first publicly demonstrated the use of inhaled ether as a surgical anaesthetic in 1846. He was born in Charlton, Massachusetts, Morton was the son of a miner called James Morton and Rebecca Morton. He was a salesman in Boston for a couple years until he got into Baltimore College of Dental Surgery in 1840, he gained notoriety for developing a new process to make false teeth. But he left college to study with the dentist Horace Wells in Connecticut.

His pacients asked him to do a tooth extraction without getting any pain and he started to use nitrous oxide a lot, and then the use of anaesthesia became an obssesion in his life.
He started to do several experiments on animals and on himself. One day, a random guy had an emergency and he needed an extraction, so Morton used ether as a surgical anaesthetic and it was perfect because the pacient said that he didn't feel anything in the extraction.
The next day, this story was on the news and the Goverment gave Morton a ''national recompense'' of $100.000.

I like this guy because I feel that Surgery is related to agony for everyone, and William Morton created something that ended that stereotype and made the world of Medicine better. :)



5 comentarios:

  1. i thing i know this name of some movie, this man made the surgery more "easy" to pull of in the past. A great idea

    ResponderEliminar
  2. wow that's so interesting, I didn't know about him. he is really important for us, to practice some anaesthetic ways.

    ResponderEliminar

Is butter a carb? 🍎🍩🍰🍕🍔

I'm a big fan of food, it makes me very happy and I like almost all kind of food but if I eat something  and it has onions on it, I wou...